Friday, November 17, 2017

Hospice Update

The first of what will be many visits by hospice staff just finished. The nurse spent an hour and a half with us assessing Sandi and our needs. The meds that were supposed to be here this morning won't be here until Monday or more likely Tuesday as they were not ordered yesterday as promised. Fortunately, most of the drugs she is still on I already have and the nurse had some stuff to give us in their "comfort kit" for pain and support.

The nurse also showed me a couple of tricks to make moving Sandi a little easier while she helped me change her and clean some things up. That should help as I had really been hurting myself trying to do things the way I was used to doing them.

It appears right now she will have an aide here four times a week to help with a shower and other things. Nurses will be here twice a week.

I am still overwhelmed, but not as much as I was last night.


4 comments:

BPL Ref said...

I hope for some peaceful time together for you both. Thoughts and prayers. Jeanne

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I hope so too. She is sleeping almost all the time which is a sign to me the cancer is very active and doing its thing. When this has happened before it was always that so I am not surprised. She still knows who we are and that is good. She knows she is home. Little else is there most of the time.

Elizabeth said...

Glad she's home with you & knows who you are. I hope she can sleep comfortably at least some of the time. My father had hospice at home for about three months in 2005. The nurses were wonderful & made things much easier for my mother. Prayers & good thoughts as always.

Carol N Wong said...

Very glad that the hospice visits have started. Both of you really need that help. This should help you get more rested. Hope that you have a peaceful Thanksgiving. Prayers for the both of you.